Google Scholar link to publications by Dr. Hong Chen
1. Jinyun Yuan, Lu Xu, Chih-Yen Chien, Yaoheng Yang, Yimei Yue, Siaka Fadera, Andrew H. Stark, Katherine E. Schwetye, Arash Nazeri, Rupen Desai, Umeshkumar Athiraman, Aadel A. Chaudhuri, Hong Chen, Eric C. Leuthardt, First-in-human prospective trial of sonobiopsy in glioblastoma patients using neuronavigation-guided focused ultrasound
2. Lu Xu, Yan Gong, Chih-Yen Chien, Eric Leuthardt, Hong Chen, Transcranial focused ultrasound-induced blood‒brain barrier opening in mice without shaving hairs
65. Ye DZ, Chen S, Liu YJ, Weixel C, Hu ZT, and Chen H*, Mechanically manipulating glymphatic transport by ultrasound combined with microbubbles, PNAS, 2023
64. Yang YH, Yuan JY, Field RL, Ye DZ, Hu ZT, Xu K, Gong Y, Yue YM, Kravitz A, Bruchas MR, Cui JM, Brestoff JR, and Chen H*, Induction of a torpor-like hypothermic and hypometabolic state in rodents by ultrasound, Nature Metabolism, 2023
63. Hu ZT, Yang YH, Ye DZ, Chen S, Gong Y, Chukwu C, Chen H*, Targeted delivery of therapeutic agents to the mouse brain using a stereotactic-guided focused ultrasound device, STAR Protocols, 2023; 1(4): 102132
62. Xu K, Yang Y, Hu ZT, Yue YM, Cui J, Culver JP, Bruchas MR, and Chen H*, TRPV1-mediated sonogenetic neuromodulation of motor cortex in freely moving mice, J. of Neuronal Engineering, 2023; 20: 016055
61. Pacia CP, Yuan JY, Yue Y, Leuthardt EC, Benzinger TLS, Nazeri A, Chen H *, Focused Ultrasound–mediated Liquid Biopsy in a Tauopathy Mouse Model, Radiology, 2023
60. Xu L, Pacia CP, Gong Y, Hu ZT, Chien CY, Yang LQ, Gach MH, Hao Y, Comron H, Huang JY, Leuthardt, EC, Chen H*, Characterization of the targeting accuracy of a neuronavigation-guided transcranial FUS system in vitro, in vivo, and in silicon, IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 2022.3221887. [pdf]
59. Ye D, Yuan JY, Yang YH, Yue YM, Hu ZT, Fadera S, Chen H*, Incisionless targeted adeno-associated viral vector delivery to the brain by focused ultrasound-mediated intranasal administration, eBioMedicine, 2022; 84:104277
58. Chih-Yen Chien, Lu Xu, Christopher Pham Pacia, Yimei Yue, Hong Chen, Blood-brain barrier opening in a large animal model using individualized closed-loop microbubble cavitation-based feedback control of focused ultrasound sonication, Scientific Reports, 2022;16147
57. Hu ZT, Yang YH, Xu L, Jing Y, Chen H*, Airy Beam-enabled binary acoustic metasurfaces for ultrasound beam manipulation. Physical Review Applied, 2022; 18, 024070
56. Hu ZT, Yang YH, Xu L, Hao Y, Chen H*, Binary acoustic metasurfaces for dynamic focusing of transdcranial ultrasound. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 2022; 1473.
55. Pacia CP, Yuan JY, Yue Y, Xu L, Nazeri A, Desai R, Gach HM, Wang XW, Talcott MR, Chaudhuri AA, Dunn GP, Leuthardt EC, Chen H*, Sonobiopsy for noninvasive, spatiotemporally-controlled, and sensitive detection of glioblastoma-derived circulating tumor DNA, Theranostics. 2022; 12(1):362-378.
54. Chen S, Nazeri A, Baek H, Ye D, Yang Y, Yuan J, Rubin JB, Chen H*, A review of bioeffects induced by focused ultrasound combined with microbubbles on the neurovascular unit. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism. 2022 Jan;42(1):3-26.
53. Hu ZT, Chen S, Yang YH, Gong Y, and Chen H*, An affordable and easy-to-use focused ultrasound device for noninvasive and high precision drug delivery to the mouse brain. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2022
52. Chien CY, Gong Y, Yang YH, Yue YM, Chen H*, Blood-Brain Barrier Opening by Individualized Closed-Loop Feedback Control of Focused Ultrasound. BME Frontiers. 2022; 69(9): 2723-2732
51. Gong Y, Ye DZ, Chien CY, Yue YM, and Chen H*, Comparison of sonication patterns and microbubble administration strategies for focused ultrasound-mediated large-volume drug delivery, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2022; 69(11):3449-3459
50. Pan SL, Ye DZ, Yue YM, Yang LH, Pacia CP, DeFreitas D, Esakky P, Dahiya S, Limbrick DD, Rubin JB, Chen H, Strahle JM, Leptomeningeal Disease and Tumor in a Murine DIPG Model: Implications for Study of the Tumor-CSF-Ependymal Microenvironment, Neuro-oncology Advances. 2022; 4(1): vdac059
49. Hou Z, Guertler CA, Okamoto RJ, Chen H, Garbow JR, Kamilov US, Bayly PV. Estimation of the mechanical properties of a transversely isotropic material from shear wave fields via artificial neural networks. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 2021 Dec 15:105046.
48. Hu ZT, Xu L, Chien CY, Yang YH, Gong Y, Ye DZ, Pacia CP, and Chen H*. Three-dimensional transcranial microbubble cavitation localization by four sensors. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 2021 Jun 24
47. Baek H, Yang Y, Pacia CP, Xu L, Yue YM, Bruchas MR, Chen H*. Mechanical and mechanothermal effects of focused ultrasound elicited distinct electromyographic responses in mice, Physics in medicine and biology 2021;66:135005
46. Yang Y, Pacia CP, Ye D, Yue Y, Chien CY, Chen H*, Static Magnetic Fields Dampen Focused Ultrasound–mediated Blood-Brain Barrier Opening, Radiology 2021; 204441
45. Yang Y, Pacia CP, Ye D, Zhu L, Baek H, Yue Y, Yuan J, Miller MJ, Cui J, Culver JP, Bruchas MR, and Chen H*, Sonothermogenetics for noninvasive and cellular-level neuromodulation in rodent brain, Brain Stimulation 2021;14(4):790-800
44.Ye D, Chen H*, Focused ultrasound-mediated intranasal brain drug delivery technique(FUSIN), MethodsX, 2021;101266
43. Zhu L, Huang Y, Lam D, Gach HM, Zoberi I, Hallahan DE, Grigsby PW, Chen H, Altman M, Targetability of cervical cancer by magnetic resonance-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (MRgHIFU)-mediated hyperthermia (HT) for patients receiving radiation therapy, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 2021; 38(1):498-510
42. Yuan JY, Ye D, Chen S, Chen H*, Therapeutic ultrasound-enhanced immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy. Frontiers in Physics, 2021; 8:102
41. Ye D, Yuan J, Yue Y, Robin J, Chen H*, Focused Ultrasound-Enhanced Delivery of Intranasally Administered Anti-Programmed Cell Death-Ligand 1 Antibody to an Intracranial Murine Glioma Model, Pharmaceutics 2021;13(2):190
40. Zhuang XH, Ye D, Yang L, Yue Y, Sultan D, Pacia C, Pang H, Detering L, Heo GS, Luehmann H, Choksi A, Sethi A, Tai YC, Limbrick D, Becher O, Rubin J, Chen H*, Liu YJ*, Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Guided Focused Ultrasound Disruption of Blood-Brain Tumor Barrier to Deliver Radiolabeled Nanoclusters to Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2020;3(11):11129–11134
39. Zhu L, Pacia CP, Dao L, Gach, M; Partanen A, Talcott MR, Greco SC, Zoberi I, Hallahan DE, Chen H, Altman MB. Characterization of magnetic resonance-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (MRgHIFU)-induced large-volume hyperthermia in deep and superficial targets in a porcine model, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 2020;37:1159-1173.
38. Ye D, Luan JY, Pang H, Yang Y, Chen H*, Characterization of focused ultrasound-mediated intranasal delivery for noninvasive localized drug delivery to the brainstem, Journal of Controlled Release, 2020;328:276-285
37. Zhu L, Nazeri A, Pacia CP, Yue Y, Chen H*, Focused ultrasound for safe and effective release of brain tumor biomarkers into the peripheral circulation, Plos One, 2020; 15(6): e0234182.
36. Pacia CP, Zhu L, Yang Y, Yue Y, Nazeri A, Gach HM, Talcott MR, Leuthardt EC, Chen H*, Feasibility and safety of focused ultrasound-enabled liquid biopsy in the brain of a porcine model, Scientific Reports, 2020; 10: 7449
35. LeMoyne HG, Ye D, Carpenter J, Prior J, Marsala L, Mixdorf M, Rubin J, Chen H, Achilefu S, Intracranial glioma xenograft model rapidly reestablishes BBB integrity for longitudinal imaging of tumor progression using fluorescence molecular tomography, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2020; 25(2): 026004
34. Guertler CS, Okamoto RJ, Ireland J, Pacia C, Garbow J, Chen H, Bayly PV, Estimation of anisotropic material properties of soft tissue by MRI of ultrasound-induced shear waves, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 2020; 142: 031101
33. Zhu LF, Partanen A, Talcott MR, Gach MH, Greco SC, Henke LE, Contreas JA, Zoberi I, Hallahan DE, Chen H, Altman M, Feasibility and safety assessment of magnetic resonance-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (MRgHIFU)-mediated mild hyperthermia in pelvic targets evaluated using an in vivo porcine model, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 2019; 36(1), 1146-1158.
32. Shanshan Xu, Dezhuang Ye, Leighton Wan, Yoga Shentu, Yimei Yue, Mingxi Wan, Chen H*, Correlation between brain tissue damage and cavitation doses quantified using passive cavitation imaging, Ultrasound Med. Biol, 2019; 45(10), 2758-2766
31.Yaoheng Yang, Xiaohui Zhang, Dezhuang Ye, Richard Laforest, Jeffrey Williamson, Yongjian Liu, Hong Chen*, Cavitation dose painting for focused ultrasound-induced blood-brain barrier disruption, Scientific Reports, 2019;9(1):2840 Altmetric Score: 104 (in the 97th percentile of the 146,195 tracked articles of a similar age in all journals).
30. Lifei Zhu, William Straube, Imran Zoberi, Dennis E. Hallahan, Michael B. Altman, Hong Chen*, Ultrasound hyperthermia technology for radiosensitization, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 2019;45(5):1025-1043
29. Ye DZ, Zhuang XH, Yue YM, Raliya R, Biswas P, Taylor S, Tai YC, Rubin JB, Liu YJ, Chen H*. Focused ultrasound-enhanced intranasal delivery of gold nanoclusters to the pons with minimized systemic exposure, Journal of Controlled Release 2018;286:145-153
28. Kothapalli S, Partanen A, Zhu LF, Altman M, Gach HM, Hallahan D, Chen H*. A convenient, reliable, and fast acoustic pressure field measurement method for magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound systems with phased array transducers, Journal of Therapeutic Ultrasound 2018, 6:5
27. Ye DZ, Sultan D, Yue YM, Heo GS, Kothapalli S, Luehmann H, Tai YC, Rubin JB, Liu YJ*, Chen H*. Focused ultrasound-enabled delivery of radiolabeled nanoclusters to the pons, Journal of Controlled Release 2018;283:143-150
26. Sultan D, Ye DZ, Heo GS, Zhang XH, Luehmann H, Yue YM, Detering L, Komarov S, Taylor S, Tai YC, Rubin JB, Chen H*, Liu YJ*. Focused Ultrasound Enabled Positron Emission Tomography Imaging of Trans-Blood Brain Barrier Delivery Using 64Cu-Integrated Ultrasmall Gold Nanoclusters, Small 2018:1703115. (*: co-first authors; #: co-corresponding authors)
25. Zhu LF, Cheng G, Ye DZ, Nazeri A, Yue YM, Liu WJ, Wang XW, Dunn GP, Petti AA, Leuthardt EC, Chen H*, Focused Ultrasound-enabled Brain Tumor Liquid Biopsy, Scientific Reports 2018:8 (*: co-first authors) Altmetric Score: 115 (in the 97th percentile of the 254,217 tracked articles of a similar age in all journals)
24. Kothapalli S, Altman M, Zhu LF, Cheng G, Partanen A, Gach HM, Zoberi I, Hallahan D, and Chen H*. Evaluation and selection of anatomic sites for magnetic resonance imaging-guided mild hyperthermia therapy: a healthy volunteer study. International Journal of Hyperthermia. 2018 Jan 4:1-9.
23. Kothapalli S, Partanen A, Zhu LF, Altman M, Gach MH, Hallahan DE, Chen H*. Acoustic field characterization of a clinical magnetic resonance-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound system inside the magnet bore. Med. Phys. 2017;44:4890–4899.
22. Eranki A, Farr N, Partanen A, Sharma KV, Chen H, Rossi CT, Kothapalli SV, Oetgen M, Kim A, Negussie AH, Woods D. Boiling histotripsy lesion characterization on a clinical magnetic resonance imaging-guided high intensity focused ultrasound system. PloS one. 2017 Mar 16;12(3):e0173867.
BEFORE JOINING WUSTL
21. Chen H, Yang GZX, Getachew H, Acosta C, Sierra Sánchez C, Konofagou EE. Focused ultrasound-enhanced intranasal brain delivery of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Sci Rep 2016;6:28599.
20. Payen T, Palermo C, Sastra S, Chen H, Yang H, Olive K, Konofagou EE. “Elasticity mapping of murine abdominal organs in vivo using harmonic motion imaging (HMI).” Physics in Medicine and Biology 2016; 61(15): 5741.
19. Kamimura, H.A., Wang, S., Chen, H., Wang, Q., Aurup, C., Acosta, C., Carneiro, A.A. and Konofagou, E.E., Focused ultrasound neuromodulation of cortical and subcortical brain structures using 1.9 MHz. Medical Physics, 2016; 43(10): 5730-5735.
18. Zhou YF, Wang Y-N, Farr N, Zia J, Chen H, Ko BM, Khokhlova T, Li T, Hwang JH, Enhancement of small molecule delivery by pulsed high-intensity focused ultrasound: A parameter exploration. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 2016;42(4):956-63
17. Chen H, Hou G, Han Y, Payen T, Palermo CF, Olive KP, Konofagou EE, Harmonic motion imaging for abdominal tumor detection and high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation monitoring: a feasibility study in a transgenic mouse model of pancreatic cancer. IEEE transactions on ultrasonics, ferroelectrics, and frequency control. 2015; 62(9): 1662-1673.
16. Li T, Wang Y-N, Khokhlova T, D’Andrea S, Starr F, Chen H, McCune JS, Risler LJ, Mashadi-Hossein A, Hwang JH, Pulsed high intensity focused ultrasound (pHIFU) enhances delivery of doxorubicin in the KPC mouse model of pancreatic cancer. Cancer Research. 2015; canres-0296.
15. Chen H, Chen C, Wu SY, Sun T, Acosta C, Konofagou EE. A new brain drug delivery strategy: Focused ultrasound-enhanced intranasal drug delivery. PLoS ONE. 2014; 9(10): e108880
14. Chen H, Konofagou EE. The size of blood-brain barrier opening induced by focused ultrasound is dictated by the acoustic pressure. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism. 2014; 34(7):1197–1204
13. Li T, Chen H, Khokhlova TD, Wang YN, Kreider W, He XM, Hwang JH, Passive cavitation detection during pulsed HIFU exposures of ex vivo tissues and in vivo mouse pancreatic tumors. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 2014; 40(7): 1523-1534
12. Chen H, Hwang JH. Ultrasound-targeted microbubble destruction for chemotherapeutic drug delivery to solid tumors. Journal of Therapeutic Ultrasound. 2013;1(1):10
11. Hosseinkhah N, Chen H, Matula TJ, Burns P, Hynynen K. Mechanisms of microbubble-vessel interactions and induced stresses: a numerical model to describe the microbubble/fluid/vessel system. Journal of Acoustical Society of America. 2013; 134(3): 1875-1885
10. Perez C, Chen H, Karzova M, Khokhlova V, Matula TJ. Acoustic field characterization of the Duolith: Measurements and modeling of a clinical shockwave therapy device. Journal of Acoustical Society of America. 2013; 134(2): 1663-1674
9. Chen H, Brayman AA, Matula TJ. Characteristic microvessel relaxation timescales associated with ultrasound-activated microbubbles. Applied Physics Letters. 2012; 101(16): 163704
8. Chen H, Brayman AA, Evan AP, Matula TJ. Preliminary observations on the spatial correlation between short-burst microbubble oscillations and vascular bioeffects. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 2012:38: 2151-2162
7. Chen H, Kreider W, Brayman AA, Bailey MR, Matula TJ. Blood vessel deformations on microsecond time scales by ultrasonic cavitation. Physical Review Letters. 2011; 106(3): 034301.
6. Chen H, Brayman AA, Kreider W, Bailey MR, Matula TJ. Observations of translation and jetting of ultrasound-activated microbubbles in mesenteric microvessels. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 2011; 37(12): 2139-4218.
5. Chen H, Brayman AA, Bailey MR, Matula TJ. Blood vessel rupture by cavitation. Urological Research. 2010; 38(4): 321-326.
4. Chen H, Li XJ, Wan MX, Wang SP. High-speed observation of cavitation bubble clouds near a tissue boundary in high-intensity focused ultrasound fields. Ultrasonics. 2009; 49(3): 289-292.
3. Chen H, Li XJ, Wan MX, Wang SP. High-speed observation of cavitation bubble cloud structures in the focal region of a 1.2 MHz high-intensity focused ultrasound transducer. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry. 2007;14(3): 291-297.
2. Chen H, Li XJ, Wan MX. Spatial-temporal dynamics of cavitation bubble clouds in 1.2 MHz focused ultrasound field. Ultrasononics Sonochemistry. 2006; 13(6): 480-486.
1. Chen H, Li XJ, Wan MX. The inception of cavitation bubble clouds induced by high-intensity focused ultrasound. Ultrasonics. 2006; 44: e427-e29.